Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Butterfly Lessons

I did a big corporate grand opening cake a few months back... (The Keller Williams cake) While there, I ran into an old friend. Ok, so I babysat her ages ago. So what that she's in her 20's, that doesn't make me that old, does it? Anyway, we got to talking and decided that we had to do lunch or something to catch up. She told me that her mom, also a good friend, had volunteered her to make a small cake for a friend of the family who was remarrying her husband after a divorce. Confusing, I know. She'd never make a big cake before, and didn't know where to start.
 I told her she should start at my house! It only had to feed about 30 people, but wedding cakes need to be at least 3 layers right? The wedding theme was going to be butterflies and the colors were blue and purple, otherwise, we could do whatever we wanted! In order to save time, I had the cake baked and a bunch of gum paste butterflies already dried. She only had a few hours away from her busy schedule, so we had to get as much done in a few hours as we could! We mixed some colors, and airbrushed the butterflies. (The airbrush is my favorite toy! And a gift to myself... I'm not ashamed.)
While they were drying, we covered the cakes with fondant and stacked them. We used  food color and edible markers to put some detail on the butterflies, and attached them with royal icing. I'd made some gum paste curly things for the topper too. She drove the cake to the reception site, and it made it there pretty much in tact! It was a ton of fun teaching cake decorating! And it's a great excuse to catch up with old friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment