Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cake Burgers!

So, it was my dad's birthday a few weeks ago. I won't embarrass him by putting his age online, but let's just say that Moses got a personal invite. We invited the whole family, minus the sister in Canada, to our house for dinner and cake. Since she wasn't able to make it, my sister has been begging me for pictures of the cake! Well, here it is!
 It was relatively warm out for April, which means above freezing here in MN. It was still a bit cold for burgers on the grill, so we did burgers for desert! These are cupcakes made from a heavy butter cake cut in half with a brownie in the middle. We colored frosting to look like ketchup and mustard. Then we added some fondant lettuce and bacon.
 I "toasted" the bun to give it a grilled look. I had a bunch of extra cake batter, so I baked it off and cut it into strips for the fries. I pan fried them in some butter to give them a country fry look and crunch. I have to say, the mustard looked almost too real... It took a few minutes to get used to dipping cake into it!
The kids had a blast with the cake burgers! Between my brother and I, there are five kids five and under! They thought these were so much fun! The only thing I'd do different next time is maybe add a few sesame seeds on the buns!

1 comment:

  1. Those look so real, it's almost disturbing to think it's cake. =] That is so crazy! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete