Friday, May 13, 2011

Gourmet Cupcake Tutorial!

 I've had more questions about my gourmet cupcakes than any other thing I make! So, to answer some of the burning questions, I'll do a little tutorial on them. First, you'll want to make the edible cupcake liners. Melt down a few squares of almond bark and pour it into a squeeze bottle. Almond bark comes in chocolate and white.
 You could also use the colored chocolate bits if you wanted... it comes in a dozen or so colors, and would be really cute! Squeeze a layer of the chocolate into some paper cupcake liners and let them set up in a muffin pan to keep their shape. Once they're hard, carefully peel off the paper and you'll be left with just the chocolate.
 Set the liners aside. Mix up your favorite cake batter, and pour it into both a 9x13 and a 9x9 pan. You'll want the cake thinner than usual. Bake the cake as the directions say, then let it cool completely. Find a round cookie or biscuit cutter that fits snugly into your chocolate liners. Cut out rounds of cake, one for each liner that you've made. Slice each round in half. Put the filling of your choice into a piping bag with a large round tip. For these cupcakes, I used Nutella. (Pretty sure the stuff comes directly from heaven!) Pipe a small amount of filling into the bottom of each liner.
 Place one layer of cake on top of the filling. Pipe more filling on the cake layer, then place the rest of the cake onto the second layer of filling. Now frost the cupcakes as you would any other cupcake. The picture to the right is a cross section of the perfect gourmet cupcake!
 The gourmet cupcakes can easily be altered with different cakes fillings, and frosting. But no matter what you do, they will be super rich with all of the extra chocolate! As always, cake is best made from scratch with quality ingredients, but do what you like, and they'll be good either way!
Well, there you have it! I've divulged my secret! I hope at least a few of you try making gourmet cupcakes. I'd love to hear from you if you do! And for the rest of you, don't worry... not everyone likes to make the putsy stuff like I do! If you fall into the "that's too much work for me" group and the "but those look really good" group, let me know and we can work something out!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew BartholomewMay 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked great! My cousin and I are passionate bakers who love to have fun and spice up our daily baking with new, creative ideas. The liners were so easy to make and to top it all off, we made our own peanut buttercups that were just as good, if not better, than Reese's!

    ReplyDelete