Monday, April 25, 2011

Bumpa's Choochoo

 I did this cake a few years ago for my dad's birthday. Like I've said before, for some reason, I always seem to have time to do a fun cake for his birthday.

My dad has a thing with trains. Growing up, we had a false wall in the basement that folded down into a model train scene.
  I have no idea how many trains there are, but I'm still not allowed to touch some of them. There are boxes and boxes of trains and train related things. In the basement of my parent's current house, there is a track that goes around the ceiling with trains that make noise and steam.

My kids picked the design for this cake. They call him Bumpa, so that's why it says "Bumpa's Express" on it! We made Bumpa out of fondant and had him sitting in his train. We made a little map of Montana for the cab, and a fire stove for the coal. The coal in the coal car is crushed Oreos.

 I built up the train so it would look like the wheels were holding it above the ground.

I know the colors are kind of childish for a grandpa, but how fun would it be with baby animals poking their heads out for a baby shower!?

No comments:

Post a Comment