Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Princess Party!

 I'd like to apologize in advance for the length of this post and all of the pictures! It was just too hard to narrow them down!

Last year, a lady from my bible study was organizing a blood drive at her home for her daughter's birthday. It sounded crazy until I read her story. Five years earlier, she had given birth to a beautiful baby girl. After the baby was born, the doctor tried to remove the afterbirth. The placenta remained attached to her uterus, and she began to bleed out. The doctor had no choice but to rush her in for an emergency hysterectemy.
 
During this whole time, she recieved 11 units of blood. The human body typically holds 10. The blood transfusions saved her life.

For her daughter's first birthday, they decided to have a red cross truck come by and take blood donations in honor of what happened during the birth, and to give back knowing they could save another life.
 
 The tradition stuck, and last year, they were up to three trucks and making appointments! I asked how I could help, and she mentioned that they had sheet cakes donated for everyone, but that her little girl didn't have an actual birthday cake. I had to do something to fix that!
 She told me that her daughter really liked princessy things, and pink! I had always wanted to do a pillow cake, and this was my chance! I carved the cakes into pillow shapes, and covered them in fondant. The bottom pillow was airbrushed purple and I put tiny little dragees in the fondant to make it sparkle. The second pillow was an orangy brown color with a gold rope around it. The top pillow was bright pink with silver dragees and tassles. The tassles were fun to figure out... I ended up "borrowing" my kids playdough toys to make them!

 I made all of the little trinkets out of gum paste. The tricky thing with gum paste, is that it has to dry for a couple of days without getting moved for it to be sturdy. The tiara dried around an empty 2 liter pop bottle. Once it was dry, I painted it silver and added little studs. The other pieces were propped up on various things to get them to hold their shape!
 The heart on the necklace is a melted jolly rancher that was put into a heart mold. The mirror has about four coats of edible silver paint on it to make it shiny! The purse is my favorite! It's also gum paste and was made in pieces and glued together with royal icing.
 I've been asked about this cake more than any other cake I've made. It was so much fun to make! I didn't charge anything for it because it was for a friend and a charity event. It would normally be around $300 just because of all the work involved!

When we went to deliver the cake, the little girl was so excited! She'd never had a birthday cake that big before! It was all worth it to see the look on her face!


 I still run into my friend every so often at bible study this year. Every time I see her, I am reminded of how short life is and how blessed we all are to still be here. God had a plan for her and saved her from certain death that day. So, when other people see an amazing cake, I see a miracle.

Jeremiah 29:11-14

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you.” declares the LORD



1 comment: